Statistics of the EU
Latest business news about statistics, facts and figures of the European Union.
- One in four Europeans over 15 is a smoker — 07 December 2016, 23:50 CET
Nearly 1 in every 4 persons aged 15 or over in the EU was a current smoker in 2014, according to figures published Wednesday by Eurostat, the EU's the statistical office.
- EU unemployment rate lowest since 2009 — 12 October 2016, 01:06 CET
Employment in the EU has increased in almost all Member States, according to the autumn edition of the European Commission's Employment and Social Development in Europe Quarterly Review.
- Better social statistics for a social Europe — 25 August 2016, 01:00 CET
The European Commission has adopted a proposal for a Regulation on new, integrated ways to collect and use data from social surveys so as to better support policy making in general and social policy in particular.
- EU defends Greek deficit statistics — 30 August 2016, 18:44 CET
The European Union has defended the credibility of Greece's statistics body ELSTAT, as its former head Andreas Georgiou remains under threat of prison over reporting Greece's huge deficit in 2009.
- Europe increases its 'resource productivity' - Eurostat report — 07 July 2016, 17:22 CET
Resource productivity increased to 2.00 EUR/kg in 2015 from 1.48 EUR/kg in 2000, an increase of 35.4% in real terms, according to new figures from Eurostat, the EU's statistics agency.
- EU annual inflation up to -0.1 pct in May — 16 June 2016, 16:34 CET
Annual inflation in the European Union was -0.1% in May, up from -0.2% the previous month. A year earlier the rate was 0.3%. The figures come from Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Eurozone industrial production picks up in April — 14 June 2016, 18:56 CET
Seasonally adjusted industrial production in the eurozone rebounded by 1.1 per cent in April - and 1.3% in the whole of the EU - compared with the previous month, according to Eurostat estimates out Tuesday.
- Eurozone industrial producer prices down 0.3 pct in April — 02 June 2016, 16:28 CET
Industrial producer prices in the eurozone fell by 0.3 per cent in April 2016 compared with the month before, and by 0.2 per cent in the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat.
- Eurozone jobless lowest since 2011 at 10.2 pct — 01 June 2016, 23:03 CET
The seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate for the Eurozone remained stable at 10.2% in April compared with the previous month, according to Eurostat, and down from 11.0% in April last year.
- Annual inflation in the EU down to -0.2 pct — 18 May 2016, 12:45 CET
European Union annual inflation dropped to -0.2% in April 2016, down from 0.0% in March. The rate for March last year was also 0.0%, according to Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Eurozone trade surplus up to EUR 28.6 bn in March — 17 May 2016, 12:44 CET
First estimates for March show a surplus in international trade in goods for the Eurozone of EUR 28.6 bn and a EUR 7.2 bn surplus for the whole EU, according to Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Eurozone industrial production down 0.8 pct in March — 12 May 2016, 17:15 CET
Seasonally-adjusted industrial production fell 0.8 per cent in the eurozone and 0.5 per cent in the EU as a whole In March compared with a year earlier, according to estimates from Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Eurozone retail trade down 0.5 pct in March — 10 May 2016, 12:11 CET
Seasonally adjusted volume of retail trade fell by 0.5% in the eurozone in March compared with the previous month and by 0.7% in the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the EU's statistical office. In February the retail trade volume rose by 0.3% in the euro
- Heart attacks or strokes kill 1 in 5 in EU — 10 May 2016, 13:17 CET
Heart attacks (around 644,000 deaths) and strokes (almost 433,000) - slightly more than 1 in 5 - were the cause of death for almost 1.1 million people in the European Union in 2013, according to Eurostat figures.
- Eurozone industrial producer prices up 0.3 pct — 03 May 2016, 16:58 CET
Industrial producer prices rose by 0.3% in the eurozone in March compared with a month earlier, according to estimates from Eurostat, and by 0.4% in the EU as a whole.
- Big variations in jobless across EU regions — 28 April 2016, 12:28 CET
While unemployment rates fell in the majority of EU regions in 2015 compared with the previous year, figures from Eurostat show a huge variation in the levels of unemployment across Europe.
- More Europeans age 30-34 complete tertiary education — 27 April 2016, 23:57 CET
An increasing number of Europeans aged 30 to 34 complete tertiary education - from 23.6% in 2002 to 38.7% in 2015 - while there are fewer and fewer early leavers from education and training, figures from Eurostat show.
- 70 pct employment for 20-64 yr-olds in EU — 27 April 2016, 18:01 CET
The employment rate of the EU population aged 20 to 64 stood at 70.1% in 2015, up compared with 2014 (69.2%), but still slightly below its 2008 peak (70.3%), according to Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Trade surplus for EU in February of EUR 3.0 bn — 16 April 2016, 00:50 CET
The EU recorded a surplus in trade in goods with the rest of the
world of EUR 3.0 bn in February, compared with +EUR 1.8 bn in February 2015, according to first estimates from Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Eurozone industrial production down 0.8 pct — 14 April 2016, 23:07 CET
In February 2016 compared with January 2016, seasonally adjusted industrial production fell by 0.8% in the euro area and by 0.7% in the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the EU's statistical office.
- Euro area house prices grew 2. 9 pct in Q4 2015 — 12 April 2016, 13:32 CET
House prices rose 2.9 per cent in the euro area and 3.8 per cent in the EU in the fourth quarter of 2015 compared with the same quarter of the previous year, according to the EU's statistical office Eurostat.
- Eurozone economic activity ticks up after sharp fall: survey — 05 April 2016, 20:24 CET
Eurozone private sector business activity ticked up in March after a
sharp fall in February, the closely watched Markit survey shows, but the outlook remains clouded.
- Eurozone jobless rate falls marginally, outlook uncertain — 04 April 2016, 13:56 CET
The eurozone unemployment rate improved only marginally in February, official data showed on Monday, stoking concerns the economy could be slowing after only a modest recovery.
- Eurozone inflation inches up, still negative in March — 01 April 2016, 21:03 CET
Eurozone consumer prices continued to fall in March at only a slightly
slower pace than in February, data showed Thursday, despite the European Central Bank boosting its already massive stimulus programme to beat deflation.
- Germany cuts public debt to 2.15 trillion euros in 2015 — 31 March 2016, 11:47 CET
Germany, Europe's biggest economy, shaved 24 billion euros ($27 billion)
off its overall public debt burden to 2.153 trillion euros in 2015, the
country's central bank, or Bundesbank, said on Thursday.