WIFI4EU - Free Wi-Fi for Europeans07 December 2016
by eub2 -- last modified 07 December 2016
The EU is bringing Wi-Fi to you, in parks, squares, libraries, public buildings.
Who will benefit?
Everyone should benefit from connectivity in public spaces everywhere in Europe – no matter where they live or how much they earn.
WiFi4EU will give high-quality Internet access to local residents and visitors throughout the entire EU in the main centres of community life: parks, squares, libraries, public buildings, etc.
Public administrations and other bodies with a public mission will be able to promote local digital services: e-Government, e-Health, e-Tourism.
€120 million of EU investment in vouchers at least 6000 to 8000 local communities 40-50 million connections per day
The initial budget of the WIFI4EU scheme is EUR 120 million between 2017-2019. It will support the installation of state-of-the-art equipment like Wi-Fi antennas in the centres of community life.
Who can apply?
Local public authorities (municipalities or group of municipalities):
- who would like to oﬀer Wi-Fi in areas where a similar public or private oﬀer does not yet exist
- who seek funding for equipment and installation and can provide free connection to their community for several years
- one voucher per community – allocated on a first-come, first-served principle to cover 100% of project cost
How will it work?
First call for projects to be launched
- before Summer 2017
- €20 million for some 1000 municipalities
- only through online applications
- vouchers will be sent to beneficiaries