Slovakia and the euro04 February 2008
by eub2 -- last modified 04 February 2008
Slovakia joined the European Union in 2004 and has aspirations to adopt the euro in 2009.
Slovakia at a glance
Surface area: 49 030 km2
Population: 5 393 637 (Eurostat 2007)
Joined the European Union: 1 May 2004
Currency: Slovak koruna (SKK)
Status: Slovakia is not yet a member of the euro area.
The Slovak koruna joined the Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM II) on 28
November 2005, and observes a central rate of 35.4424 to the euro with
standard fluctuation margins of ±15%.
Exchange rate: The current euro to Slovak koruna foreign exchange reference rate can be consulted on the website of the European Central Bank (updated daily).
Adoption of the euro: Slovakia hopes to adopt the euro on 1 January 2009.
Documents and publications
- National Euro Changeover Plan for the Slovak Republic – Update (March 2007, also in English)
- National Changeover Plan, part I and part II (July 2005, also in English)
- Other documents (National Bank of Slovakia)
EU official documents
- Fifth report on the practical preparations for the future enlargement of the euro area. COM(2007) 434 final
- 2006 Convergence Report. COM(2006) 762 final, also published as European Economy, No. 1/2006
- Change in the central rate of the Slovak koruna in the Exchange Rate Mechanism II (ERM II) (16 March 2007)
- Slovak koruna included in the Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM II) (25 November 2005)
Opinion polls and surveys
Zavedenie eura v SR (national website on the introduction of the euro)
- Národná banka Slovenska (National Bank of Slovakia, also in English)
- Ministerstvo finacií Slovenskej republiky (Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic, also in English)
- Úrad vlády Slovenskej republiky (Slovak Republic Government Office, also in English)
Mincovňa Kremnica (Slovak mint, also in English and German)
- Euro section on Slovenská sporiteľňa website
- Slovenská obchodná a priemyselná komora (Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry, also in English)
- Euro Info Centres in Slovakia
- Združenie slovenských spotrebiteľov, ZSS (Association of Slovak Consumers)
Source: European Commission