China and the EU
Latest news about China and the European Union.The EU-China Strategic Partnership, which is based on the 1985 EU China trade and cooperation agreement, has grown to include foreign affairs, security matters and international challenges such as climate change and global economy governance. The EU and China are world players. The EU is China’s biggest trading partner, while China is the EU’s largest source of imports and 2nd largest two way trading partner. The trade and investment relationship is a major source of wealth, jobs, development and innovation for both sides.
- Court backs EU anti-dumping measures against Chinese solar panels — 28 February 2017, 18:41 CET
The EU's top court gave its backing Tuesday to anti-dumping duties imposed by the EU in respect of imports of solar panels and key components originating in and consigned from China.
- EU imposes new anti-dumping duties on Chinese steel — 01 March 2017, 15:26 CET
The EU Commission imposed anti-dumping duties on imports of heavy steel plates from China Tuesday, the latest in an unprecedented number of trade defence measures against unfair steel imports.
- EU imposes new import duties on Chinese steel — 27 January 2017, 17:24 CET
The European Commission decided Friday to impose definitive anti-dumping measures on two steel products originating in China and Taiwan.
- EU slaps more anti-dumping duties on Chinese steel, iron — 16 November 2016, 00:54 CET
The EU is to impose provisional anti-dumping duties on seamless pipes and tubes of iron and steel from China - typically used in power plants and in the oil and gas industry.
- Steel, market access top China-EU talks agenda — 20 October 2016, 00:26 CET
The EU and China held their 6th annual EU-China High-level Economic and Trade Dialogue in Brussels Tuesday with steel over-capacity and market access at the top of their agenda.
- Brussels imposes anti-dumping duties on Chinese steel products — 11 October 2016, 00:16 CET
In a swift reaction to what it claims is unfair competition, the EU Commission imposed Friday provisional anti-dumping duties on imports of hot-rolled flat steel and heavy plates of steel from China.
- EU slaps anti-dumping duties on Chinese, Russian steel — 09 August 2016, 19:08 CET
The European Union slapped anti-dumping duties on 'cold rolled steel' from China and Russia on Thursday, with the stipulation that they should remain in place for five years.
- EU takes action at WTO over Chinese raw materials — 01 August 2016, 23:57 CET
The European Union has launched its third action against China at the World Trade Organization, this time against Chinese restrictions on export of raw materials essential for European industries.
- Steel, market economy the focus for EU-China summit — 13 July 2016, 18:04 CET
The European Union and China concluded a two-day summit in Beijing Wednesday, with candid discussion over Europe's troubled steel industry, market economy status for China and human rights.
- EU-China relations — 13 July 2016, 17:15 CET
As two of the three biggest economies and leading traders in the world, the EU and China have a strong interest in a deep and comprehensive partnership.
- Brexit overshadows EU-China meeting — 13 July 2016, 00:30 CET
The 18th bilateral summit between the EU and China got under way in Beijing Tuesday, with Brexit overshadowing discussions on political and economic relations as well as global and regional issues.
- — 12 July 2016, 12:19 CET
On the occasion of the European Union - China summit, which takes place on 12-13 July in Beijing, Eurostat, the EU's statistical office, issued some data on economic relations between China and the EU. Key figures: Trade in goods: China: top EU partner for imports in 2015, accounting for a fifth (20.3%) of all EU imports; China: second largest EU partner for exports in 2015 (9.5% of all exports), after the United States; EU trade in goods balance with China in 2015: deficit of EUR 180 billion, due to surge of imports; Machinery & vehicles dominate both exports and imports; Deficit with China for every EU Member State, except Germany and Finland; Trade in services: EU trade in services balance with China in 2015: surplus of EUR 10.3 billion, due to surge of exports; Foreign direct investment: EU: net investor with China in 2014
- Elements for a new EU strategy on China — 23 June 2016, 22:58 CET
The EU adopted on 22 June a Communication entitled 'Elements for a new EU strategy on China', which maps out the European Union's relationship with China for the next five years.
- EU maps out closer relationship with China — 23 June 2016, 00:32 CET
The EU adopted Wednesday a Communication entitled 'Elements for a new EU strategy on China', which maps out the European Union's relationship with China for the next five years.
- MEPs vote against market economy status for China — 13 May 2016, 15:49 CET
EU Parliament members voted against dumping and the granting of market economy status (MES) to China Thursday. This is seen as an important signal that the EU will not grant MES so long as China fails to meet its WTO obligations.
- Chinese toys, clothing top EU's 2015 list of unsafe products — 26 April 2016, 16:37 CET
Toys and clothing top the list of dangerous products for which the EU issued Europe-wide alerts last year, with China remaining the number one country of origin for products on the EU's alert system.
- EU agri-food trade continues to increase — 22 April 2016, 11:40 CET
EU agri-food exports in February 2016 were worth EUR 10.2 billion, well above export values in January, and even slightly above exports in February last year, according to the EU's latest monthly statistical report.
- China to impose import duties on electrical steel from EU — 04 April 2016, 16:27 CET
China said Friday it would impose import deposits of up to 46 percent on flat-rolled electrical steel products from the European Union, as its
domestic producers face growing financial pressure.
- VW's Skoda Auto eyes 2 bn euro investment in China — 30 March 2016, 14:42 CET
Top Czech carmaker Skoda Auto, a unit of Germany's Volkswagen, and the
Shanghai-based SAIC Motor Corporation plan to invest two billion euros
($2.3 billion) in China over five years, an agreement signed Wednesday
- EU - China partnership on 5G — 28 September 2015, 22:49 CET
The EU and China have signed a milestone agreement in the global race to develop 5G networks, during today's EU-China High Level Economic and Trade Dialogue in Beijing.
- — 02 December 2013, 11:55 CET
EC documents on the EU’s anti-dumping investigation on imports of solar panels from China - EU market access investigations
- Anti-dumping tariffs on Chinese solar panels — 04 June 2013, 17:36 CET
The European Commission has decided to impose provisional anti-dumping duties on imports of solar panels, cells and wafers from China.
- Negotiations for an investment agreement with China — 23 May 2013, 13:41 CET
The European Commission decided today to ask the EU Member States for their agreement on a mandate to open negotiations on an investment agreement with China. This is the first ever proposal for a stand-alone investment agreement since foreign direct investment became the exclusive competence of the EU under the Lisbon Treaty.
- China's anti-dumping duties on X-ray security scanners - WTO case — 26 February 2013, 19:09 CET
A World Trade Organization panel report (DS425) found that China's anti-dumping duties on imports of X-ray security scanners from the EU were in breach of WTO anti-dumping rules. The report marks a clear victory for the EU. If the report is not appealed within 60 days, China will be expected to remove its anti-dumping duties on EU imports of X-ray security scanners.
- EU anti-subsidy investigation on solar panel imports from China — 08 November 2012, 13:46 CET
The European Commission has launched an anti-subsidy ("countervailing duty") investigation into imports of solar panels and their key components (i.e. solar cells and solar wafers) originating in China.