Romania PM, President in first talks since feud
(BUCHAREST) - Romanian President Traian Basescu and Prime Minister Victor Ponta met on Wednesday for the first time since their bitter feud earlier this year led to an impeachment referendum and sparked a political crisis.
"Talks with the president were serious, technical and institutional," Ponta said about the conversation on judicial reform and the economy, adding that he hoped further meetings would take place before and after next month's legislative election.
Centre-right Basescu had earlier asked that the entire government take part in the talks, but centre-left Ponta rejected the demand, accusing the president of meddling in government affairs.
Ponta said the duo would meet again next week to decide who would represent Romania at an EU summit later this month, a dispute that was at the centre of their feud and which the constitutional court had ruled in Basescu's favour in July.
The rivals' power struggle erupted in April, when the government collapsed following an opposition no-confidence motion and Basescu had no choice but to name opposition head Ponta as prime minister.
Ponta's ruling centre-left coalition USL then launched a move to impeach Basescu that was heavily criticised by the international community, leading to a July referendum that failed as voter turnout fell short of the required 50 percent threshold.
The USL has not ruled out another go at pushing out Basescu, who has been in power since 2004, depending on the outcome of next month's elections.
Basescu's second and final term according to the Constitution will expire in late 2014.
Text and Picture Copyright 2012 AFP. All other Copyright 2012 EUbusiness Ltd. All rights reserved. This material is intended solely for personal use. Any other reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of the copyright owner is strictly forbidden and any breach of copyright will be considered actionable.
