Macedonia, Albania condemn inter-ethnic violence
(SKOPJE) - Skopje and Tirana on Friday condemned inter-ethnic clashes that erupted in Macedonia this month and vowed they would not jeopardise the Balkan countries' joint future in NATO and the EU.
"Macedonia and Albania denounce any type of incident that could harm good neighbourly relations and their perpetrators should be prosecuted," Albanian Foreign Minister Edmond Haxhinasto said after meeting his Macedonian counterpart Nikola Poposki.
"We share a joint future in the EU and NATO and all actions that aim to jeopardise this goal should be condemned and treated within the institutions," Poposki said.
Macedonia has been shaken by a series of inter-ethnic clashes that erupted earlier this month between Macedonians and ethnic Albanians, the largest minority in the country.
At least 14 people have been injured in the unrest.
Relations between Macedonia's main communities remain scarred by an armed conflict in 2001 between Macedonian security forces and ethnic Albanian rebels.
A peace deal was signed in August 2001, when ethnic Albanians, who make up some 25 percent of Macedonia's population of two million, were given more rights.
Text and Picture Copyright 2012 AFP. All other Copyright 2012 EUbusiness Ltd. All rights reserved. This material is intended solely for personal use. Any other reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of the copyright owner is strictly forbidden and any breach of copyright will be considered actionable.
