EU bailout fund to launch one-year bond in near future
(FRANKFURT) - The EU's bailout fund said on Tuesday it will launch one-year bonds as an alternative to its planned three-year bonds, which it shelved last week after rating agency Moody's downgraded France's debt rating.
"Launching a one-year bond means that we can react to strong market demand on the short end and provide investors with an alternative to the planned three-year bond," said Christophe Frankel, chief financial officer of the European Financial Stability Facility or EFSF.
Last week, the EFSF was compelled to postpone a planned auction of three-year bonds after Moody's downgraded France by one notch from its top rating.
The move meant that EFSF's new long-term issuance -- currently rated Aaa by Moody's -- no longer satisfied the necessary criteria for selling debt, the agency explained.
Long-term bond issues of the EFSF, the bailout fund set up to assist struggling eurozone countries such as Greece or Ireland, have to be fully backed by countries that enjoy a similar rating to its own top rating.
France has dropped out of that exclusive club -- which now includes only Finland, the Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg -- so the fund does not have sufficient guarantees to issue long-term debt.
EFSF did not provide an exact timetable for the alternative one-year bond, but said it would launch it "in the near future, subject to market conditions."
European Financial Stabilisation Mechanism - guide
Text and Picture Copyright 2012 AFP. All other Copyright 2012 EUbusiness Ltd. All rights reserved. This material is intended solely for personal use. Any other reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of the copyright owner is strictly forbidden and any breach of copyright will be considered actionable.
