Ukraine and the EU
Latest business news about Ukraine and the European Union.
- EU gives Ukraine EUR 250m in aid — 21 April 2015, 16:58 CET
The EU announced Tuesday payment of 250 million euros in aid loans to Ukraine, bringing the total to 1.6 billion euros to support the economy battered by a war against pro-Russian rebels in the east.
- EU dreams of Iranian gas to break dependence on Moscow — 19 April 2015, 09:27 CET
The EU is hoping future gas imports from Iran can break its dependence
on Russia as prospects grow for a nuclear deal that would include
lifting sanctions on Tehran.
- Baltics urge Poland to speed up region's gas link to EU — 17 April 2015, 20:35 CET
The three Baltic states on Friday urged neighbouring Poland and the EU
to speed up work on a gas pipeline to link them to the European market
and reduce their reliance on Russia.
- Warplanes pose increased risk to civilian jets over Europe: watchdog — 14 April 2015, 22:57 CET
Aviation safety risks increased significantly last year as "non-cooperative military aircraft" crossed paths with civilian planes over the Baltic Sea and other waters, European air safety officials said in a report published Tuesday.
- EU, Russia, Ukraine to resume trade pact talks — 14 April 2015, 15:59 CET
The EU, Russia and Ukraine will resume talks in Brussels next week on
Moscow's concerns about the European bloc's free trade pact with Kiev,
EU officials said on Tuesday.
- EU says Ukraine-Russia gas talks in Berlin postponed — 11 April 2015, 21:57 CET
EU-brokered gas talks due Tuesday in Berlin between Russia and Ukraine have been postponed and technical discussions will be held in Brussels next week instead, the EU announced on Friday.
- Spain defends EU sanctions on Russia over Ukraine — 09 April 2015, 19:01 CET
Spain on Thursday defended EU sanctions on Russia over Ukraine,
rejecting repeated criticism of the measures by Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras.
- EU says new Ukraine, Russia gas talks for April 14 in Berlin — 09 April 2015, 00:06 CET
The EU said Tuesday it will broker a fresh round of Russian-Ukrainian
talks next week in Berlin to secure gas supplies for Kiev next winter
and onward deliveries to Europe.
- West's ties with Russia frozen after year of Ukraine conflict — 03 April 2015, 10:02 CET
Relations between the West and Russia remain at their lowest ebb since
the Cold War on the first anniversary of the start of the eastern
Ukraine conflict, but all bridges have not yet been burned, analysts
- EU urges Ukraine to accept Russian gas offer — 01 April 2015, 16:06 CET
The EU urged Ukraine on Wednesday to accept Russia's offer to extend the current gas deal with Kiev by another three months, saying it bodes well for an agreement for next winter.
- EU-Ukraine summit to take place on April 27 — 29 March 2015, 13:29 CET
A summit between top European Union officials and Ukraine's leaders will take place in Kiev at the end of April, Ukraine President Petro
Poroshenko announced on Saturday.
- Kiev hopeful of Russia gas discounts, more talks next month — 21 March 2015, 14:27 CET
Ukraine on Saturday said it hoped to secure a discount on Russian gas
imports following tripartite talks with the European Union, which are
due to resume in Berlin next month.
- Ukraine, Russia start new talks to supply gas to Kiev — 20 March 2015, 22:57 CET
Ukraine and Russia launched EU-brokered talks in Brussels on Friday
aimed at supplying gas to Kiev through next winter and securing onward
deliveries to Europe.
- EU's Russia sanctions extended to end-2015 — 20 March 2015, 13:27 CET
EU leaders agreed Thursday to effectively extend economic sanctions
against Russia until the end of 2015, tying them to full implementation of the Minsk ceasefire accords in Ukraine.
- Greece pleads for help from sceptical Europe — 20 March 2015, 09:40 CET
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras urged Germany and France at a summit Thursday to help him tackle a looming cash crunch, despite warnings that Athens must commit to reforms first.
- Merkel rules out Greece breakthrough at EU summit — 19 March 2015, 17:44 CET
German Chancellor Angela Merkel squashed hopes of a breakthrough on Greece's debt troubles at a European summit in Brussels Thursday despite pleas from Athens for bold action to end the crisis.
- EU seeks new Ukraine-Russia gas deal by June — 19 March 2015, 17:42 CET
The EU has set June as a target to clinch a new deal for Russia to
supply gas to Ukraine through the following winter and secure supplies to Europe, an EU official said Thursday on the eve of three-way talks in Brussels.
- Ukraine warns EU to avoid sanctions split — 19 March 2015, 12:58 CET
Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk warned EU leaders Thursday to keep the pressure on Russia and not allow President Vladimir Putin to exploit their differences over sanctions.
- Greece 'danger' dominates EU summit — 19 March 2015, 12:52 CET
Greece's Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras will plead with European counterparts at a summit in Brussels Thursday for cash to keep his country afloat and in the euro as officials warned that the situation was becoming "dangerous".
- Russia says fresh Ukraine gas talks planned Friday with EU — 17 March 2015, 19:22 CET
Russia will hold a fresh round of EU-mediated gas talks with Ukraine in
Brussels on Friday, Moscow's energy ministry and the EU said, as the clock ticks down on the current deal.
- EU team to counter Russian 'disinformation': draft — 17 March 2015, 17:39 CET
EU leaders will agree at a summit this week to set up a special media
unit to counter what the bloc sees as a skillful Russian propaganda
campaign during the Ukraine crisis, according to draft conclusions.
- Merkel eyes no sanctions decisions against Moscow at EU summit — 16 March 2015, 19:01 CET
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Monday that EU leaders would not decide on new economic sanctions against Russia over the Ukraine crisis at their summit this week, but could do so in June.
- EU warns of Russian military buildup in Crimea — 16 March 2015, 12:01 CET
The EU warned Monday of a continued Russian military build-up in Crimea as it condemned Moscow's "illegal annexation" of the peninsula from Ukraine one year ago.
- No compromise with Russia over Ukraine sanctions: EU chief — 16 March 2015, 11:57 CET
The European Union must not compromise with Russia over sanctions in response to the Ukraine crisis, the bloc's chief Donald Tusk said in an
- Poland and Latvia sceptical over EU army idea — 10 March 2015, 16:57 CET
Polish and Latvian officials on Tuesday voiced scepticism over calls for
a European Union army to counter a militarily resurgent Russia.