Ukraine and the EU
Latest business news about Ukraine and the European Union.
- Armenia, Belarus baulk at Riga summit declaration: sources — 21 May 2015, 10:02 CET
Armenia and Belarus are holding up agreement on a joint declaration at
the EU-Eastern Partnership summit over references to Russia's annexation
of Crimea last year, diplomatic sources said Thursday.
- Ex-Soviet Georgia urges EU progress, despite Russian pressure — 20 May 2015, 04:32 CET
Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili has warned European Union
leaders against letting Russian aggression in Ukraine undermine the
bloc's project of building closer links with ex-Soviet nations.
- EU, ex-Soviet states meet in Putin's shadow — 21 May 2015, 12:52 CET
European Union leaders and six ex-Soviet states hold a summit Thursday focussed on the Eastern Partnership project, which was designed to bolster mutual ties but has been undermined by Russia's intervention in Ukraine.
- Russia drops opposition to EU-Ukraine trade deal starting 2016 — 18 May 2015, 20:09 CET
Russia has dropped its demands for a further delay in a landmark
EU-Ukraine trade deal at the heart of the Ukraine crisis and accepts that it will now begin next year, the European Union said Monday.
- EU says Ukraine, Georgia progress toward visa-free access — 08 May 2015, 20:03 CET
The EU says Ukraine and Georgia, both embroiled in conflict with Russia, have made progress in gaining visa-free access to Europe, a key pay-off to boosting ties with the bloc.
- EU says no further delay on Ukraine trade deal — 07 May 2015, 21:51 CET
The EU said Thursday it would not bow to Russian demands to delay
further the planned January 2016 implementation of a free trade deal with Ukraine which is bitterly opposed by Moscow.
- EU, NATO try to counter Russian propaganda — 02 May 2015, 23:38 CET
Western powers are getting set to counter an expertly crafted Russian
disinformation campaign over Ukraine which has left them wrong-footed too many times for comfort.
- Ukraine seeks EU help as shelling blazes in east — 27 April 2015, 18:16 CET
European leaders on Monday resisted Ukraine's demands for peacekeepers to stabilise its war-torn east, as monitors reported a surge in shelling near a strategic government-held city.
- Ukraine to push for peacekeepers, funds at EU summit — 27 April 2015, 14:10 CET
Ukraine will press European leaders for peacekeepers to patrol its
war-torn east and will angle for more international financial support at
two days of high-level talks starting Monday.
- EU gives Ukraine EUR 250m in aid — 21 April 2015, 16:58 CET
The EU announced Tuesday payment of 250 million euros in aid loans to Ukraine, bringing the total to 1.6 billion euros to support the economy battered by a war against pro-Russian rebels in the east.
- EU dreams of Iranian gas to break dependence on Moscow — 19 April 2015, 09:27 CET
The EU is hoping future gas imports from Iran can break its dependence
on Russia as prospects grow for a nuclear deal that would include
lifting sanctions on Tehran.
- Baltics urge Poland to speed up region's gas link to EU — 17 April 2015, 20:35 CET
The three Baltic states on Friday urged neighbouring Poland and the EU
to speed up work on a gas pipeline to link them to the European market
and reduce their reliance on Russia.
- Warplanes pose increased risk to civilian jets over Europe: watchdog — 14 April 2015, 22:57 CET
Aviation safety risks increased significantly last year as "non-cooperative military aircraft" crossed paths with civilian planes over the Baltic Sea and other waters, European air safety officials said in a report published Tuesday.
- EU, Russia, Ukraine to resume trade pact talks — 14 April 2015, 15:59 CET
The EU, Russia and Ukraine will resume talks in Brussels next week on
Moscow's concerns about the European bloc's free trade pact with Kiev,
EU officials said on Tuesday.
- EU says Ukraine-Russia gas talks in Berlin postponed — 11 April 2015, 21:57 CET
EU-brokered gas talks due Tuesday in Berlin between Russia and Ukraine have been postponed and technical discussions will be held in Brussels next week instead, the EU announced on Friday.
- Spain defends EU sanctions on Russia over Ukraine — 09 April 2015, 19:01 CET
Spain on Thursday defended EU sanctions on Russia over Ukraine,
rejecting repeated criticism of the measures by Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras.
- EU says new Ukraine, Russia gas talks for April 14 in Berlin — 09 April 2015, 00:06 CET
The EU said Tuesday it will broker a fresh round of Russian-Ukrainian
talks next week in Berlin to secure gas supplies for Kiev next winter
and onward deliveries to Europe.
- West's ties with Russia frozen after year of Ukraine conflict — 03 April 2015, 10:02 CET
Relations between the West and Russia remain at their lowest ebb since
the Cold War on the first anniversary of the start of the eastern
Ukraine conflict, but all bridges have not yet been burned, analysts
- EU urges Ukraine to accept Russian gas offer — 01 April 2015, 16:06 CET
The EU urged Ukraine on Wednesday to accept Russia's offer to extend the current gas deal with Kiev by another three months, saying it bodes well for an agreement for next winter.
- Kiev hopeful of Russia gas discounts, more talks next month — 21 March 2015, 14:27 CET
Ukraine on Saturday said it hoped to secure a discount on Russian gas
imports following tripartite talks with the European Union, which are
due to resume in Berlin next month.
- Ukraine, Russia start new talks to supply gas to Kiev — 20 March 2015, 22:57 CET
Ukraine and Russia launched EU-brokered talks in Brussels on Friday
aimed at supplying gas to Kiev through next winter and securing onward
deliveries to Europe.
- EU's Russia sanctions extended to end-2015 — 20 March 2015, 13:27 CET
EU leaders agreed Thursday to effectively extend economic sanctions
against Russia until the end of 2015, tying them to full implementation of the Minsk ceasefire accords in Ukraine.
- Greece pleads for help from sceptical Europe — 20 March 2015, 09:40 CET
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras urged Germany and France at a summit Thursday to help him tackle a looming cash crunch, despite warnings that Athens must commit to reforms first.
- Merkel rules out Greece breakthrough at EU summit — 19 March 2015, 17:44 CET
German Chancellor Angela Merkel squashed hopes of a breakthrough on Greece's debt troubles at a European summit in Brussels Thursday despite pleas from Athens for bold action to end the crisis.
- EU seeks new Ukraine-Russia gas deal by June — 19 March 2015, 17:42 CET
The EU has set June as a target to clinch a new deal for Russia to
supply gas to Ukraine through the following winter and secure supplies to Europe, an EU official said Thursday on the eve of three-way talks in Brussels.