Ukraine and the EU
Latest business news about Ukraine and the European Union.
- EU maintains Russia sanctions as clashes resume in Ukraine — 30 September 2014, 18:57 CET
The European Union on Tuesday decided to keep in place biting economic
sanctions on Russia over its alleged backing of pro-Kremlin insurgents
who have largely ignored a four-week Ukrainian truce.
- New Ukraine-Russia gas talks in Brussels this week: sources — 30 September 2014, 18:52 CET
A new round of EU-brokered talks between Ukraine and Russia aimed at
restoring Kiev's gas supplies during winter will take place in Brussels
at the end of this week, sources said Tuesday.
- EU keeps Russia sanctions in place — 30 September 2014, 17:19 CET
The European Union decided Tuesday to keep a tough package of economic sanctions against Russia in place, saying that the peace plan in Ukraine was not yet fully implemented.
- EU gives more aid to farmers hurt by Russia sanctions — 30 September 2014, 17:17 CET
The European Union introduced a new aid package on Tuesday worth 165 million euros to help farmers hit by Russian sanctions over the Ukraine crisis, but tightened up on dubious compensation claims.
- EU unveils interim deal for ending Russia-Ukraine gas war — 28 September 2014, 11:27 CET
The European Union on Friday unveiled an interim deal meant to end
Russia's latest gas war with Ukraine which could see a return of
supplies to the crisis-hit nation and a renewal of trust between the
- EU rejects Putin demand for Ukraine deal changes — 26 September 2014, 14:32 CET
The European Union said Friday that Russian President Vladimir Putin had
written to Brussels demanding changes to a landmark EU-Ukraine accord,
but it ruled out reopening the deal without Kiev's consent.
- EU raps Hungary over Ukraine gas cut — 26 September 2014, 20:26 CET
The European Union rapped Hungary on Friday for halting the gas supply
to neighbouring Ukraine as fresh concerns loomed about a winter energy
war with Moscow.
- EU condemns Russia for barring MEP — 26 September 2014, 20:25 CET
The EU condemned Russia on Friday for barring entry to a Member of the European Parliament who flew to Moscow to observe a trial of a Ukrainian pilot accused of espionage.
- Russia says EU mustn't re-export gas to Ukraine: report — 26 September 2014, 09:07 CET
Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak warned Friday that Europe is
contractually not allowed to re-export gas to Ukraine and could see its
supplies cut if it did so.
- Euro entry to boost Lithuania's security: Katainen — 25 September 2014, 18:49 CET
Lithuania, increasingly jittery over Russia's foreign policy, can look
forward to a security boost when it joins the eurozone next year, Economic Affairs Commissioner Katainen said Thursday.
- Suppliers scramble for alternatives as Russia bans Western food — 24 September 2014, 21:44 CET
In a Moscow supermarket, there are plenty of imported yoghurts, but the 'best-before' date has long expired on most of them. Russia's ban of food exports from Western countries that imposed sanctions over its role in the Ukraine crisis is biting.
- EU halts aid to cheese makers after compensation claims stink — 23 September 2014, 21:38 CET
The EU halted aid to cheese producers on Tuesday hit by a Russian import embargo after what sources said were dubious compensation claims.
- EU warns Russia not to use gas as weapon in Ukraine crisis — 23 September 2014, 17:02 CET
The European Union warned energy giant Russia on Tuesday not to use gas supplies as a weapon in its stand-off with Ukraine over the fate of its neighbour's separatist east.
- Families of German MH17 victims to sue Ukraine: lawyer — 21 September 2014, 13:02 CET
Relatives of German victims of downed Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 plan
to sue Ukraine and its president for criminal negligence for not closing
the country's airspace, a lawyer said Sunday.
- Russia demands changes to Ukraine-EU association deal — 19 September 2014, 19:22 CET
Russia has demanded changes to a landmark political and economic pact
between the EU and Ukraine in order to meet Moscow's concerns, according
to a letter seen by AFP on Friday.
- EU, Ukraine, Russia to hold gas talks next week: EU — 19 September 2014, 12:48 CET
The European Union will hold fresh talks with Russia and Ukraine next week to settle their ongoing dispute over gas deliveries, an EU official said on Friday.
- EU Parliament wants Russia excluded from financial transfers system — 19 September 2014, 11:41 CET
The European Parliament on Thursday urged the EU to consider excluding Russia from the SWIFT system for global financial transactions as an additional punishment for its role in the Ukraine conflict.
- Russia proposes Ukraine, EU gas talks next week — 18 September 2014, 16:44 CET
Russia has proposed a meeting next week with Ukraine and the European Union to settle their ongoing gas dispute, Moscow's energy minister was quoted as saying Thursday.
- EU silent on reported Putin threat against east Europe — 18 September 2014, 16:04 CET
The EU on Thursday refused to confirm a report that President Vladimir
Putin warned Ukraine's leader that Russian troops could invade eastern
European capitals within two days if ordered.
- Western sanctions violate WTO principles: Putin — 18 September 2014, 16:03 CET
Russian President Vladimir Putin Thursday slammed the European Union and
the United States for violating basic World Trade Organization
principles in their bid to punish Russia over the Ukraine crisis.
- EU says Ukraine amnesty, regional laws help peace effort — 17 September 2014, 17:03 CET
The EU said Wednesday that controversial Ukraine laws offering
pro-Russian rebels an amnesty and special status in the conflict-torn
east of the country were important steps toward a peaceful solution.
- What is the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement? — 16 September 2014, 13:47 CET
The Ukrainian and European parliaments ratified a historic association agreement on Tuesday, a wide-ranging accord that Kiev sees as a symbol of its break from old master Russia.
- European Parliament ratifies Ukraine association pact — 17 September 2014, 17:01 CET
The European Parliament overwhelmingly voted Tuesday to ratify a landmark association pact with Ukraine, in a video-link with lawmakers in Kiev who approved the deal at the same time.
- Ukraine parliament ratifies landmark EU pact — 16 September 2014, 18:27 CET
The Ukrainian parliament on Tuesday ratified a landmark EU pact that decisively steers the former Soviet state towards the West and away from Russian influence.
- Ukraine outrage over delay on EU trade deal — 15 September 2014, 23:31 CET
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is facing a backlash from his staunchest supporters for bowing to Russian pressure and postponing the implementation of an EU trade deal the two sides plan to ratify Tuesday.