Ukraine and the EU
Latest business news about Ukraine and the European Union.
- Russia, West still far from breakthrough in Ukraine crisis: analysts — 18 April 2014, 18:48 CET
The four-way agreement on Ukraine thrashed out in Geneva is the first
sign of progress between Russia and the West in a months-long standoff,
but a litany of problems remain unresolved, analysts said.
- Russia's Lavrov announces deal to "de-escalate tensions" in Ukraine — 17 April 2014, 23:12 CET
Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Thursday announced a deal had been reached with Ukraine, the United States and the European Union to "de-escalate" dangerously high tensions in the former Soviet republic.
- European Parliament backs economic sanctions against Russia — 17 April 2014, 22:39 CET
The European Parliament called on Thursday for the EU to reinforce
sanctions on Russia over the Ukraine crisis and be prepared to target
- EU could boost sanctions on Russia if no progress in Geneva: Hollande — 17 April 2014, 13:47 CET
French President Francois Hollande warned Thursday that EU sanctions on
Russia could be strengthened if there is no progress at talks in Geneva
on the Ukraine crisis.
- EU agrees to talks with Russia on Ukraine gas supply: Barroso — 17 April 2014, 13:17 CET
The European Union said it had agreed Thursday to hold talks with Russia
on its gas supplies to Europe through Ukraine, warning Moscow its
reliability as an energy source was at stake.
- Transdniestr leader calls on EU to recognise breakaway region — 16 April 2014, 19:23 CET
The leader of Moldova's breakaway region of Transdniestr on Wednesday called on the European Union to recognise the statelet as independent to ensure stability in the region amid the standoff between Ukraine and Russia.
- Moldova's Gagauz region faces tough choice between Russia, EU — 16 April 2014, 11:59 CET
With its green hills and sunny vineyards, Gagauzia looks like a haven of
peace, but this Russian-speaking region in Moldova finds itself bitterly
torn between East and West in the wake of the Ukraine crisis.
- Ukraine upends Poland's EU election campaign — 16 April 2014, 11:59 CET
The Ukraine crisis has shifted Poland's campaign for next month's
European elections, boosting the governing centre-right party's chances
as its prime minister reassures voters nervous about Russia's next move.
- Ahead of Ukraine talks, what options to end crisis? — 15 April 2014, 16:32 CET
Top diplomats from Ukraine, Russia, the United States and the European
Union plan to meet in Geneva Thursday to try to defuse what has become
one of the worst European security crises in decades.
- Moscow says new Western sanctions would be 'counterproductive' — 15 April 2014, 17:40 CET
Russia insisted Tuesday that any sanctions against Moscow over the Ukraine crisis would be "counter-productive" after the European Union expanded the list of those facing asset freezes and visa bans.
- Ukraine excludes discussing 'internal affairs' at Geneva talks — 15 April 2014, 17:46 CET
Ukraine on Tuesday ruled out any discussion of its "internal affairs" at
talks this week with Russia, the US and EU, amid spiralling tensions
between Kiev and pro-Moscow militants.
- Talks expected in May over Moldova breakaway region: OSCE — 15 April 2014, 10:47 CET
A new round of talks over Moldova's simmering dispute with pro-Russian breakaway region of Transdniestr at the border with Ukraine, is expected to take place in May.
- Putin denies interfering in Ukraine as insurgents gain ground — 15 April 2014, 01:22 CET
Russian President Vladimir Putin denied involvement Monday with pro-Russian insurgents gaining ground in eastern Ukraine, but an unconvinced European Union expanded its sanctions on officials accused of trying to break up the ex-Soviet country.
- EU to expand Ukraine sanctions list — 15 April 2014, 01:18 CET
EU foreign ministers agreed Monday to expand the list of those hit with sanctions for their role in the Ukraine crisis but stopped short of harsher measures ahead of a Geneva meeting of top EU, US, Russian and Ukrainian officials this week.
- Canada sees Russia's hand in Ukraine, vows response — 15 April 2014, 01:13 CET
Canada vowed Monday to impose fresh sanctions on Russia in concert with
its NATO allies and blamed Moscow "thugs" for fomenting trouble in
- EU ready to call summit next week to toughen Russia sanctions: France — 15 April 2014, 01:13 CET
The European Union is prepared if needed to call a Ukraine crisis summit
next week to toughen sanctions against Russia, France's Foreign Minister
Laurent Fabius said Monday.
- EU sees Russia's hand in Ukraine and threatens sanctions — 15 April 2014, 01:15 CET
The European Union discussed fresh sanctions against Russia on Monday as foreign ministers angrily blamed Moscow for fomenting trouble in restive eastern Ukraine while holding out hope of a diplomatic breakthrough.
- Ukraine: current sanctions on Russia and options — 15 April 2014, 01:13 CET
The United States and European Union have warned Moscow it faces more sanctions if Russian troops intervene further in Ukraine.
- EU okays 1-bn euro aid to Ukraine — 15 April 2014, 01:21 CET
The European Union on Monday formally approved a one-billion-euro assistance package to help Ukraine's interim authorities overcome the country's deep financial problems.
- Britain urges 'further sanctions' on Russia over Ukraine — 14 April 2014, 15:40 CET
Britain called Monday for "further" European Union sanctions against Russia in response to its "dangerous" escalation of the crisis in eastern Ukraine.
- EU looking to help Ukraine pay Russia gas bill: commissioner — 11 April 2014, 18:12 CET
The European Union's energy commissioner said Friday the EU was working
on a solution to help Ukraine pay back its gas bills and called for calm
after Russia threatened to turn off the gas tap.
- Putin pledges to fulfil Europe gas obligations — 11 April 2014, 16:37 CET
President Vladimir Putin on Friday said Moscow would fulfil its
obligations to send natural gas to Europe but also said the United
States had no business interfering in Russia's talks with Europe over
- EU demands Russia honour its gas commitments — 11 April 2014, 23:41 CET
The EU urged Russia on Friday to honour its gas contracts after President Vladimir Putin warned Europe its supplies were in peril unless it helped pay Ukraine's gas debt.
- Slovakia wants EU guarantee for any gas supply to Ukraine — 10 April 2014, 17:07 CET
Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico said Thursday he wants the European
Union to guarantee that Ukraine will pay should Slovakia facilitate
reverse gas flow from Europe.
- EU mulls civilian law and order mission for Ukraine — 10 April 2014, 22:50 CET
The European Union is considering the dispatch of a civilian expert mission to Ukraine to assist with judicial and policing matters, EU diplomats said on Thursday.