Ukraine and the EU
Latest business news about Ukraine and the European Union.
- Juncker to visit Kiev next week — 25 March 2015, 19:46 CET
European Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker on Wednesday said he will visit Kiev next week on his first bilateral trip since taking office in
November, in a show of support for Ukraine's embattled government.
- Kiev hopeful of Russia gas discounts, more talks next month — 21 March 2015, 14:27 CET
Ukraine on Saturday said it hoped to secure a discount on Russian gas
imports following tripartite talks with the European Union, which are
due to resume in Berlin next month.
- Ukraine, Russia start new talks to supply gas to Kiev — 20 March 2015, 22:57 CET
Ukraine and Russia launched EU-brokered talks in Brussels on Friday
aimed at supplying gas to Kiev through next winter and securing onward
deliveries to Europe.
- EU's Russia sanctions extended to end-2015 — 20 March 2015, 13:27 CET
EU leaders agreed Thursday to effectively extend economic sanctions
against Russia until the end of 2015, tying them to full implementation of the Minsk ceasefire accords in Ukraine.
- Greece pleads for help from sceptical Europe — 20 March 2015, 09:40 CET
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras urged Germany and France at a summit Thursday to help him tackle a looming cash crunch, despite warnings that Athens must commit to reforms first.
- Merkel rules out Greece breakthrough at EU summit — 19 March 2015, 17:44 CET
German Chancellor Angela Merkel squashed hopes of a breakthrough on Greece's debt troubles at a European summit in Brussels Thursday despite pleas from Athens for bold action to end the crisis.
- EU seeks new Ukraine-Russia gas deal by June — 19 March 2015, 17:42 CET
The EU has set June as a target to clinch a new deal for Russia to
supply gas to Ukraine through the following winter and secure supplies to Europe, an EU official said Thursday on the eve of three-way talks in Brussels.
- Ukraine warns EU to avoid sanctions split — 19 March 2015, 12:58 CET
Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk warned EU leaders Thursday to keep the pressure on Russia and not allow President Vladimir Putin to exploit their differences over sanctions.
- Greece 'danger' dominates EU summit — 19 March 2015, 12:52 CET
Greece's Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras will plead with European counterparts at a summit in Brussels Thursday for cash to keep his country afloat and in the euro as officials warned that the situation was becoming "dangerous".
- Russia says fresh Ukraine gas talks planned Friday with EU — 17 March 2015, 19:22 CET
Russia will hold a fresh round of EU-mediated gas talks with Ukraine in
Brussels on Friday, Moscow's energy ministry and the EU said, as the clock ticks down on the current deal.
- EU team to counter Russian 'disinformation': draft — 17 March 2015, 17:39 CET
EU leaders will agree at a summit this week to set up a special media
unit to counter what the bloc sees as a skillful Russian propaganda
campaign during the Ukraine crisis, according to draft conclusions.
- Merkel eyes no sanctions decisions against Moscow at EU summit — 16 March 2015, 19:01 CET
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Monday that EU leaders would not decide on new economic sanctions against Russia over the Ukraine crisis at their summit this week, but could do so in June.
- EU warns of Russian military buildup in Crimea — 16 March 2015, 12:01 CET
The EU warned Monday of a continued Russian military build-up in Crimea as it condemned Moscow's "illegal annexation" of the peninsula from Ukraine one year ago.
- No compromise with Russia over Ukraine sanctions: EU chief — 16 March 2015, 11:57 CET
The European Union must not compromise with Russia over sanctions in response to the Ukraine crisis, the bloc's chief Donald Tusk said in an
- EU unlikely to extend Russia sanctions next week — 13 March 2015, 15:56 CET
EU leaders are unlikely to decide at a summit next week to extend
economic sanctions against Russia over the crisis in Ukraine, which
expire in July, a European official said on Friday.
- Poland and Latvia sceptical over EU army idea — 10 March 2015, 16:57 CET
Polish and Latvian officials on Tuesday voiced scepticism over calls for
a European Union army to counter a militarily resurgent Russia.
- EU removes Ukrainians from sanctions list — 06 March 2015, 14:03 CET
The European Union lifted sanctions on Friday against four Ukrainians
including the son of a former premier, while extending measures against
ousted president Viktor Yanukovych and 14 others for a year.
- EU must 'engage' with average Russians: Mogherini — 06 March 2015, 11:37 CET
The European Union must engage with average Russians, especially youth,
to improve relations that are at their worst since the Cold War, the
bloc's foreign policy chief said Friday.
- Ukrainian pilot jailed in Russia at risk of death: EU — 04 March 2015, 20:44 CET
Jailed Ukrainian military pilot Nadia Savchenko is now at risk of death
after nearly three months on hunger strike in a Russian jail and must be
released, the EU's foreign policy chief warned Wednesday.
- Merkel warns Russia of new sanctions if ceasefire violated — 04 March 2015, 18:15 CET
German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned Russia Wednesday of new sanctions if the Ukraine ceasefire accord is not fully implemented, insisting that Kiev be allowed to regain full control of its eastern border.
- Ukraine, Arab Spring prompt EU to review regional ties — 04 March 2015, 22:47 CET
The EU launched an in-depth review of policy towards its regional
neighbours Wednesday in response to the Ukraine crisis and turmoil
across North Africa and the Middle East.
- Western leaders want 'strong reaction' if major violation of Ukraine truce: France — 03 March 2015, 20:12 CET
Western leaders on Tuesday called for a "strong reaction" from the
international community if a major violation of a truce in Ukraine
occurs, the French presidency said after video conference talks.
- Russia, Ukraine agree gas delivery deal until end March — 03 March 2015, 18:13 CET
Moscow and Kiev agreed a gas delivery deal until the end of March after
EU-brokered talks in Brussels Monday, securing supplies to Europe after a row over supplies to rebel-held eastern Ukraine, the EU said.
- EU hopes for 'positive outcome' in Russia-Ukraine gas talks — 02 March 2015, 17:35 CET
The EU said it hoped for a "positive outcome" Monday as the Russian and Ukrainian energy ministers held talks in Brussels aimed at resolving gas supply dispute threatening deliveries to Europe.
- Russia confirms will attend gas talks with EU, Ukraine — 27 February 2015, 11:00 CET
Russia has confirmed that it will attend talks with the European Union
and Ukraine on Monday aimed at resolving a bitter gas supply dispute
which threatens deliveries to Europe.