Kosovo and the European Union
In 2008 the EU repeated its willingness to assist the economic and political development of Kosovo through a clear European perspective.
The EU helps contribute to stability in Kosovo through the EULEX rule of law mission in Kosovo, Special representative in Kosovo and Kosovo international Civilian Office.
- Germany seeks 'visible' Kosovo-Serbia progress — 20 May 2013, 16:55 CET
Germany on Monday called for "visible" progress in implementing a landmark deal between Serbia and Kosovo before securing Berlin's backing for Belgrade's bid to join the European Union.
- Serbia, Kosovo to meet next week on Brussels accord — 14 May 2013, 20:13 CET
The prime ministers of Serbia and Kosovo will meet in Brussels on May 21
for follow-up talks on an EU-brokered deal aimed at normalising their
ties, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton's office said Tuesday.
- Belgrade urges Serbs in Kosovo to accept EU-brokered deal — 13 May 2013, 02:12 CET
Serbia's Deputy Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic Sunday urged Serbs
living in northern Kosovo to accept an EU-brokered agreement to
normalise relations between Serbia and its breakaway former province,
while admitting the accord was not ideal.
- Serbia's ultra-nationalists protest deal with Kosovo — 10 May 2013, 21:44 CET
More than 3,000 people protested Friday against an EU-brokered deal to
normalise ties between Belgrade and breakaway Kosovo, seen by
ultra-nationalists as Serbia's tacit recognition of its former foe's
- Ex-Kosovo officials probed for organ trafficking: report — 07 May 2013, 16:00 CET
A former Kosovo health minister and another Pristina official are among eight suspects in a new EU probe into a human organ trafficking case, a local daily reported on Tuesday.
- EU opens new probe in Kosovo organ trafficking case — 30 April 2013, 16:53 CET
A European Union prosecutor has opened a new probe into the human organ trafficking case in which five doctors were convicted of harvesting and selling kidneys at a Pristina clinic, an EU statement said on Tuesday.
- Five doctors jailed for Kosovo organ trafficking — 29 April 2013, 20:11 CET
An EU-led court in Kosovo on Monday jailed five doctors for organ trafficking at a Pristina clinic in the first such case in the breakaway territory which has already faced allegations of similar crimes during and after its 1998-99 war.
- EU court to rule in Kosovo organ trafficking trial — 28 April 2013, 20:44 CET
An EU-led court in Kosovo is expected to deliver its verdict Monday in the trial of seven people accused of illegal organ harvesting and transplants at a Pristina clinic.
- Serbian MPs approve deal on normalising ties with Kosovo — 28 April 2013, 13:50 CET
Serbia's parliament on Friday gave its green light to an EU-brokered deal aimed at normalising ties with former foe Kosovo, a landmark accord already approved by the government.
- Serbian parliament to vote on normalising ties with Kosovo — 26 April 2013, 21:19 CET
Serbia's parliament on Friday began debating whether to green light an EU-brokered deal aimed at normalising ties with former foe Kosovo, a landmark accord already approved by the government.
- Kosovo Serbs protest against Belgrade-Pristina deal — 22 April 2013, 18:48 CET
Around 10,000 Serbs in northern Kosovo and thousands more in Belgrade
protested Monday against an EU-sponsored deal to normalise ties between
Serbia and breakaway Kosovo.
- Kosovo: key dates since independence — 22 April 2013, 16:07 CET
Serbia's government and Kosovo's parliament on Monday both approved an
EU-brokered accord struck in Brussels last week in a bid to finally
normalise ties between the two. The deal was hailed as a key step away
from a violent past and towards closer ties with the EU.
- EU unlocks door to Serbia, Kosovo after landmark deal — 22 April 2013, 22:22 CET
The European Union unlocked its door to Serbia and Kosovo on Monday in reward for striking a landmark agreement to normalise ties and turn the page on the last searing trouble-spot in the Balkans.
- Serbia approves Kosovo deal — 22 April 2013, 13:44 CET
Serbia's government on Monday approved an EU-brokered deal to normalise
ties with breakaway Kosovo, a historic agreement aimed at turning the
page on the Balkans' last simmering trouble-spot 14 years after the end
- Kosovo Serbs feel betrayed by historic deal — 20 April 2013, 19:53 CET
Most Serbs in northern Kosovo feel betrayed by a historic deal reached by Belgrade and Pristina to normalise ties in a step to heal the festering enmity in the Balkans' last trouble-spot.
- US welcomes Serbia, Kosovo deal — 19 April 2013, 20:37 CET
The United States on Friday welcomed an historic deal between Serbia and
its former province of Kosovo, as US Secretary of State John Kerry
called for the pact to be swiftly implemented.
- Kosovo Serbs want referendum in Serbia on Kosovo deal: MPs — 19 April 2013, 20:55 CET
Kosovo Serbs want Serbia to hold a referendum on whether to accept the
EU-sponsored deal signed on Friday in Brussels between Belgrade and
Pristina that would normalise their relations.
- Kosovo: key dates since independence — 19 April 2013, 21:12 CET
EU-sponsored talks finally produced a hard-won normalisation accord Friday between Serbia and breakaway Kosovo which was hailed in Brussels
as a key step away from a violent past and towards closer ties with the EU.
- NATO hails Serbia-Kosovo accord, ready to help — 19 April 2013, 20:56 CET
NATO, whose troops help maintain security in Kosovo, hailed an
EU-brokered normalisation accord Friday between Belgrade and Pristina
and said it stood ready to help implement it.
- Serbia, Kosovo strike historic deal — 20 April 2013, 11:45 CET
The leaders of Serbia and Kosovo initialled a historic deal Friday to normalise ties, a move key to the future of the Western Balkans and destined also to bring both closer to the European Union.
- Serbia, Kosovo in fresh effort to normalise ties — 19 April 2013, 16:28 CET
Crunch talks on normalising Kosovo-Serbia ties that are key to their
prospects of joining the European Union resumed in Brussels on Friday,
the EU said.
- Kosovo ex-rebel now MP goes on retrial for war crimes — 18 April 2013, 21:48 CET
A top ethnic Albanian guerrilla commander turned-politician and his nine
associates on Thursday went on retrial for war crimes committed during
the 1998-1999 Kosovo war.
- Kosovo, Serbia to resume talks Friday — 18 April 2013, 21:40 CET
Kosovo and Serbia will resume talks in Brussels on Friday following
another failure to clinch a deal to normalise ties and ease tension in
the Balkans, officials here said.
- Serbia, Kosovo talks fail once again — 18 April 2013, 22:40 CET
Serbia and Kosovo again failed to clinch a deal to normalise ties and ease tension in the Balkans after lengthy talks brokered by the European Union lasting through Wednesday until Thursday.
- EU makes final push to wrest 2012 Serbia-Kosovo deal — 17 April 2013, 16:47 CET
The European Union made a final push Wednesday to wrest a 2012 Serbia-Kosovo deal to normalise ties between the fractious Balkans neighbours and turn a page on the continent's last trouble-spot.